CELEBRATING WOMEN’S MONTH IN STYLE
By: Nobukhosi Tshabalala
Twitter: @n_tshabalala_
Email Address: ayakhosi32@gmail.com
Every year in August, South Africa marks Women’s Month. Paying tribute to the more than 20 000 women who marched to the Union Buildings. The government of South Africa declared August a Women’s Month and 09 August is celebrated annually as Women’s day.
Women’s Month commemorates iconic South African women that fought in the struggle against apartheid. It celebrates the beauty and strength of South African women.
Image: Facebook
The event, fashioned along the lines of the highly successful Doek on Fleek held at The Weekend 1632 ChillSpot that serves art and food at a perfect space in Tembisa. Ladies were invited to round up their friends for a speculator day of entertainment, networking, sharing and fun.
Women were called to dress up on black and rock their head wraps. The Weekend 1632 aimed at honouring women and the opportunity for them to unite with other women. This event gave women a platform to showcase their talents and get recognition. The event offered variety of drinks and food.
“With all this place has been one of the best places in Tembisa. I was confused on what to wear but I had to pull out out and support our ladies on Women’s Month. I have never seen people being this supportive to local events,” said one of the attendees, Mr. Thabo Moloi.
Image: Facebook
While the event revealed that there will be surprise acts, the line up headlines reowned award-winning artists such as Samthing Soweto and Simmy. In this all black themed celebration, music formatics looked forward to occupy themselves in a broad range of entertainment and exclusive content.
Mr. Baloi further explained that to celebrate Women’s Month is a must and is looking forward to acknowledge and just celebrate women. Many icons came forward to motivate and empower ladies and this part was very influential and heartwarming because they even shared they’re struggles and they’re wins with us .
With every ticket bought, guests were treated satisfactory with a welcome drink of Tanqueray and Appletiser South Africa. Event organizer Motsidiso Monini also spoke about the upcoming celebrations in the coming years in the spirit of acknowledging women.
Images: Instagram
One of the ladies Nolwazi Mnyeza, at the event explains how she feels about the event,“I feel a little bit insecure and my anxiety is picking up because remember we have not fully recovered from the COVID-19 pandemic now seeing people coming in numbers make me feel a bit uncomfortable”.
She further explained that the part she enjoyed the most was the Women empowerment session, Where icons made speeches and motivated young women on how to tackle life as a young woman in South Africa .
As a young lady, I honestly think celebrating Women’s Month is very important. I think this event was a big day, celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
Video: Instagram
All the performances were the best, especially when all ladies wanted Samthing Soweto to repeat singing their favourite song “Amagents”. I also loved the way everything came along, from the welcome drinks to the decor that embraced the beauty of ladies. I enjoyed how the artists managed to accommodate everyone’s preferences.
Even though there was food shortage, people got drunk early and that led to fights. I hope they will work on that on the next event and change the venue for a bigger space because it was small to accommodate everyone.




Comments
Post a Comment